This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click and/or make a purchase, I may earn a few cents at no additional cost to you. Any products gifted by a brand will be marked "c/o." Thanks for helping make this blog possible! <3
This outfit is the furthest I’ve been outside my comfort zone in a LONG time, y’all. And looking at these photos made me cringe just a bit (especially the reject photos that didn’t make it here). I’ve avoided culottes for yeeeeeears now, but when I found some on clearance, I decided to finally give them a try.
I snagged these for $12 on Target.com and to be honest, I’m still not totally in love with them. They’re really comfortable but the silhouette just isn’t my favorite. I might try to shorten them a bit, since I have “thicker” ankles and it’s something I’m a little self conscious about, I’d like to have a bit more of my leg exposed.
Either way, I’m still glad I stepped outside of my comfort zone and wore them! Now I know what I like and don’t like about them, and if I buy another pair I know what to look for. Also I still have an awesome pair of silver party pants that I can bust out if I’m feeling up for it, and I can’t be mad about that!
Just a few tips on how to style culottes:
- Bodysuits are really easy to style with culottes, but they might show off your love handles so just be prepared for that. You can always choose one that sucks you in more, but this bodysuit was comfortable and I decided to just go for it.
- If you’re self conscious about thick ankles (like me), wear heeled sandals. I have some nude lace ups that were actually really great because they made my legs look longer, but the style just didn’t match the silver in the pants. If your culottes are long enough, you can also wear taller booties so none of your leg is exposed, but that’s typically better suited for fall or winter.
- Suspenders (yes suspenders) actually look pretty dang cute with culottes! I ended up leaving them off because there’s already a lot going on with the ruffle on the bodysuit, but they really did look cute. I’m definitely going to add them in next time when I style the culottes with a different top.
- Crop tops are another great option to pair with your culottes! This pair of culottes is pretty high waisted so I could definitely get away with a crop top without showing much (or any) skin.
- Fabric matters! I definitely want to get a more tailored pair of culottes after giving this pair a spin. These are super comfortable but I’d like to try some that are more chic and less casual.
I also got this bodysuit on clearance at Target (yes, I bought it at the same time I got the bodysuit from this post). So basically what I’m saying is, don’t sleep on Target.com! If you have a Red Card, you get free shipping plus 5% off and you can always return the items to your local store if they don’t fit. Now get to shopping!
- Have you worn culottes?
- What trend did you swear off, but then eventually give in to?